Our skin is permeable and some chemicals have high permeability coefficient: which means they are absorbed into your skin and find their way to your bloodstream or lymphatic system quickly in as little as 26 seconds!
Chemicals found in cheap and low-quality products can contain a wide range of impurities that have been linked to cancer, asthma, and hormone disruption, while others—like nanoparticles have not been evaluated for safety at all.
- Parabens – cheap preservatives used to prevent mold, bacteria and fungus from growing. Contained in almost 60% of cosmetics products, they stay in your body and pile. They mimic estrogen in the body and disrupt the natural hormonal balance. Research is still ongoing to establish a possible link between paraben exposure to breast cancer.
- Fragrance – contained in almost 50% of all cosmetic products, they are often a mix of cheap chemicals and are responsible for 30% of all allergic reactions to skincare products.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) – contained in 90% of all skincare products, it can cause skin and eye irritation.
- Petrolatum – petroleum-based products have been linked to major health concerns as they can be contaminated by dozens of toxic chemicals, some known to cause cancer and damage nerves. Up to 22% of beauty products contain toxic levels of these harmful chemicals.
- Propylene Glycol (PG) – allows harmful chemicals to seep further into your skin and bloodstream than they could have otherwise on their own. Also used in antifreeze, brake fluids, and paint, it is linked to skin irritation and inflammation.
- Hydroquinone – commonly used in whitening products, it is very strong and improper usage can result in the skin becoming darker and also increase the risk of skin cancer.
- Triclosan – commonly used as a preservative in skincare products, it kills both good and bad bacteria. However, it helps to grow types of bacteria that resist antibiotic treatment. It can disrupt your natural hormonal balance and weaken your immune system.
- Phthalates – a group of chemicals used to make products more liquid and less dry (like creams and moisturizers). Some studies have shown links to male and female reproductive defects, asthma, ADHD, breast cancer and even diabetes!
- Mercury – extremely potent and harmful, it is absorbed into the body and remains there causing rashes, memory loss and muscle weakness. In high concentrations, the kidney and brain can be damaged!
- Tretinoin – used for treating acne, unsupervised over-usage can lead to redness, blisters, peeling and even scarring of the skin.
Do YOU know what you are putting on YOUR skin?
Your skin care is supposed to help you care for your skin, not Harm you!